Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Well I will start off with the fact that my "babies" are now 3 years old, so most of this will be from my memory. It is not that good now days but I will do the best that I can. I am sure I will forget something that I want to remember and I will have to come back later and add to it. But I want it wrote down so I won't forget anything more than I already have.

We found out we were going to be having "a" baby in April 2005. The doctor did a sonogram and showed us "the baby", heart beat and all, at the first doctor’s appointment. It had to have been Abbie that we saw that day. Well they wanted me to go back later and get the tech. to do one because I was measuring larger than I should be. I went (Mike had to work this day) and she says there is your baby. Oh wait, their are 2, you are having twins! No wait... girl you are having TRIPLETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I got to see all 3 heart beats and she told me that every thing looked good! But I was shaking so bad that they were not going to let me leave. I had to explain to them that I was just going across the street to see my mother so they let me leave then.

So I took the pictures that they made during the ultrasound and put them into the little book that I got just for them and went across the street. Momma came out and looked at the pictures. So glad she was going to have “a” new grand baby. I had to show them to her a couple of time for her to get it. Here is baby A, here is baby B, and here is baby C. By this time she is running down the hall screaming telling everyone. Now she works in a hospital, so a lot of people were hearing this.

Well that was easy. Now for the hard part. I had to tell Mike. Now he was not sure he could handle one baby so I was not looking forward to this at all. Thank God for cell phones. Yes, I called him on the phone and told him we were having triplets. He did not believe me at first. But I told him over and over, no I'm not kidding and it finally started to sink in. But it was several days before he could really carry on a conversation with anyone. I don’t think it really seemed real to him until he got to see the ultrasound at about 18/19 weeks. That is also when we found out there were 2 boys and a girl.

We slowly got used to the idea that there was going to be 3 babies, not “a” baby. Then we started thinking what this was going to mean. We had a van, so we did not have to worry about getting a big enough ride. But we also needed 3… baby beds, swings, bouncy seats, sets of bottles, clothing, a stroller and many many other things. DIAPERS DIAPERS and more DIAPERS. I am not sure how many we have used, but I am sure it is enough!

I was going to the doctor about every 2 weeks in Carrollton. Then they spring it on me that I will have to go somewhere else for the babies to be delivered, because Carrollton does not do triplets. So I could go to Atlanta (North Side), Birmingham or Columbus. We chose Columbus.

It was the farthest away and I am so glad we went there. Everyone was so nice and still are to this day when we go down there. So at 17/18 weeks we went to the Maternal Fetal Specialist in Columbus. Dr Stauffer. He came in with a bow tie on. Mike looked at me and we were thinking the same thing. OH NO! Pee Wee Herman!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it turned out he knew what he was doing. At about 22 weeks he wanted to know who was going to be delivering the babies. I told him I had no idea and he got us an appointment with Dr Simpson. Thank Goodness. Mike and I really like Dr Simpson. So we were going to Columbus at least every 2 weeks, sometimes more. I woke up in the middle of the night having contractions at about 25/26 weeks. We went to see Dr Simpson the next morning. I figured that I would be in the hospital after that, but he put me on some meds and let me come home.

At 28 weeks I went into the hospital and did not get out until the babies were 4 days old. So I went in on October the 6th and got out on November 15th. I missed fall, everything was green when I went in, when I got out all the leaves were already gone off the trees.

It was so funny, when they would come around to put the monitor on to check the heart beats and to see if I was having contraction, the babies must have been able to hear it coming down the hall. Levi would try to hide, under my arm. They would try to find him and I would tell them he is right here and they would tell me he can’t get right there. Well guess where he would be… under my arm! After awhile they would just ask where the babies were before they started.

It was some very long days while I was down there. Mike would come every time he was off work, but it was not often enough for me. Mostly it was Dr Simpson, he came every morning and every night, except for the week he went hunting. I was really glad when he got back. On November 11th Dr Simpson came by my room before work to see if he thought the babies would be born anytime soon. NOPE, not today. Oh well. Then they came to get me for an ultrasound. I never got these on Fridays so I should have known something was up. They started doing to ultrasound and Abbie had flipped. When? I must have been asleep because I think I would have noticed this. But now you could not see Levi. So they call Dr Simpson and tell him and the babies are on the way!!!! They tell me to call Mike. I can’t remember the number for a few minutes, things are happening to fast. But I finally get him on the phone and he is on his way. He called my parents & his. I think they called everyone else.

I did not know Mike was there until they had already started the c-section. I sure was glad to see him. Abbie was first, came out crying! Then Andy, he came out crying also. Then Levi, he had room in there and decided he was not coming out. Felt like he had a rib holding on. But then he was out and crying. My babies were here and doing good! 34 weeks and 5 days. I went to the recovery room while Mike went to the NICU.

I had been in recovery for about an hour when Dr Simpson came in and asked if I had seen the babies yet. I told him NO, I had not seen anyone. It wasn't long before I got to see everybody. Then one of NICU nurses brought the babies for me to see. They were just a couple of hours old.

First family photo!

The day I got out of the hospital Mike and I came home that night. I had not been home in over 6 weeks but it was not a good home coming. I started crying when we left the hospital and I quit the next morning when we got back down there. We ended up staying at the Ronald McDonald House. It was really nice, I could look out the window and see the hospital where my babies were. It took some time getting used to having 3 babies to take care of. Especial since I had not even really taken care of me in the last few months. Abbie, Andy & Levi were in the NICU Special Care for 11 days.

Mike was working 6 days a week 12 hours a day so on Sunday he would do as much as he could to give me a little brake. My parents were over every night to help with feedings. I slept in the floor with my head on a stack of diapers more times than I care to think about. But my monkeys were doing great so it was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment